The distinctive traits of the standard are its strong points for encouraging the sustainable development of the supply chain:
– it has a broad technical base: combining good practices and integrated economic, environmental and social indicators, each one developed on the basis of the most advanced experience available;
– it is based on a Management System: businesses are therefore encouraged to integrate sustainability in their corporate management practices, focusing first and foremost on self-assessment;
– its annual objective is preparing a Sustainability Report setting out the improvement policies, which are a key feature of the approach to sustainability;
– it requires certification by an independent body: this guarantees consumers greater transparency in the management of objectives of sustainability, but also encourages businesses to show constant commitment and efficiency;
– it introduces a collective brand for communicating with the final customer and the market as a whole.