The distinctive traits of the standard are its strong points for encouraging the sustainable development of the supply chain:
– it has a broad technical base: combining good practices and integrated economic, environmental and social indicators, each one developed on the basis of the most advanced experience available;
– it is based on a Management System: businesses are therefore encouraged to integrate sustainability in their corporate management practices, focusing first and foremost on self-assessment;
– its annual objective is preparing a Sustainability Report setting out the improvement policies, which are a key feature of the approach to sustainability;
– it requires certification by an independent body: this guarantees consumers greater transparency in the management of objectives of sustainability, but also encourages businesses to show constant commitment and efficiency;
– it introduces a collective brand for communicating with the final customer and the market as a whole.
Q&A Equalitas is a periodically updated document containing interpretations or amendments to the SOPD Equalitas Standard and the Implementing Regulation. It is a normative document, therefore formally part of the Standard or of the Implementing Regulation, which is updated following reports from Certification Bodies or other stakeholders, or on the basis of reviews by the Technical-Scientific-Ethical Committee or by the Board of Directors of Equalitas. All the updates introduced with Q&A Equalitas constitute official additions and revisions of the Standard and of the Implementing Regulation and will form an integral part thereof when they are subjected to a formal revision.
The implementation of the new and/or updated rules comes into force two months after each new publication of the Q&A Equalitas unless specific indications are provided (for example “from the date of publication”).
Mere interpretations must instead be considered applicable immediately.